Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Knitting for sanity

Photobucket
Knitted art apron and cap.

Photobucket
The hat is sort of large. It ended up more "strawberry shortcake" than artistic beret. But that probably appeals more to the girl anyway.

I have a love/hate relationship with knitting. I love to do it, it soothes me and I get a great sense of accomplishment from it. I hate it because I don't like the cryptic knitting instructions, so I try to make up my own stuff. Then it all comes out looking sort of grannyish. But I like it anyways. I also get sort of insane about finishing a project. I sort of can't stop until it is done. This is bad when there are other things to do.

I liked the idea of a knitted art apron because I was picturing the soft absorbability of a knitted dishcloth. And I used up the leftover yarn from a blanket I knit for Christmas. My daughter was worried about getting the apron dirty, but since it was leftover yarn, and cheap yarn to begin with, it is actually a lot less than the cheap canvas aprons from the hobby store. I don't count the labor cost. It was therapy.

2 comments:

K said...

I would rather knit a project three whole times than figure out gauge. The swatch, I'd happily knit it. But do not ask me to "check gauge." It sounds too technical and fussy and I just can't be bothered. And I'm stubborn about it. Ok, I guess some could say foolish.

candyn said...

Gauge? Swatch? I know not of which you speak. :)

I have a knitting creed. I believe that if I knit it - it will turn into something. Maybe not pretty, maybe it won't stay together. But it will be something, dammit. I have a lot of scarves.