Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Uncle Traveling Matt

Title a hat tip to Fraggle Rock. Any fans? Oh how I love Fraggle Rock. I have the first season on DVD and force the kids to watch it with me from time to time. On FR there is a character, Uncle Traveling Matt, who travels the world outside of FR and sends back postcards. It is all mysterious and amazing to the homebound Fraggles. He lives a life of adventure, not the same-old-thing-every-day for UTM. No sir. As for the Fraggles stuck home at the rock, receiving a postcard brings about longings for adventure in their own lives. However, more often than not, they realize that life at home can be an adventure as well. There is a message in there that I am currently trying hard to embrace. As trips outside our rock will be a bit limited for awhile.

My kids have a sort of honorary Uncle Traveling Matt. However, she is more of a Second-Cousin Traveling Amy. Doesn't have the same ring does it? She is one of the coolest chicks I know and has spent her adulthood teaching in foreign countries, and traveling to yet others on vacation. She has taught in Venezuela, Brazil, I might be missing another country. Next on the line up is Israel after summer. She just returned from a month long trip to India where she went to volunteer time in orphanages and to further her study in yoga.

Photobucket
She always does better than postcards. This was what she brought back this time.

Photobucket
Real Chai. For my husband's fetish. I will inherit the cool elephant box when it is empty of said chai. I am willing to wrestle my daughter for this box. I will win. I am bigger and meaner.


Photobucket
Bindi powder in succulent colorful splendor. And small stamps for making artful bindis. I sense a very amazingly jeweled and beautiful halloween costume in our future. Anyone know how to fold a sari?

Sigh. There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home? Right?

4 comments:

Katherine said...

ooooh ooooh ooooh, fold a sari? pick me pick me!

I found the COOLEST tutorial on youtube once. I'll go find it and get back to you.

Love fr. Wish I had an ascta myself. How lovely. : )

Katherine said...

Got it. We had an "India" night last summer. Ry and I wore "saris" and learned how from this: http://ourreportcard.blogspot.com/search?q=sari

Mommylion said...

Awesome. Thank you! How fun. I wish our culture wore saris. I am a sucker for beautiful cloth and for never having to think about what to wear.

Amy is lovely. She is just one cool human. We're lucky to have her.

Maria said...

I'm too late to say I can fold a sari! But I'd have to come visit. Or you'd have to come here. I'm jealous of Amy. We've gotton a ton of books on India...we went before we had Ms. D. I want to go again SO badly. I love the smells. The color. OH, you are lucky to have a Traveling Amy to bring those little whiffs of India straight to your home!