Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

FINALLY

Photobucket
It only took me a month, but today I got it right!
(Pic taken of the clothes pile, not while on the child.)

I don't have a lot to add to the great depths of parental wisdom that is floating out in the blogosphere. However, I do have this...

If you have a child who is PAINFULLY perfectionistic, please, please, learn from my failures and refrain from buying your child 'days of the week' underpants. Because eventually life renders a busy parent incapable of keeping said underpants current... and eventually that perfectionist child will learn to read. This is a bad. bad. combo. Trust me.

One needs a comprehensive laundry plan to prevent underwear-derived morning angst and identity crisis. I do not have a functioning laundry gene, rendering me incapable of such sport. So I tried to remedy the situation with a 10 pack of Disney Fairies undies. It mostly works but the pesky 'days' keep showing up, always on the wrong day of course.

Today, however, it was as if 'Wednesday' jumped right into my hand, and the birds sang and all was well in the world. Oh, except the economy. And the health care system. And the gas prices. But hey! I have a seven year old that feels like she can saunter the balance beam of life on her tippy toes, and that is a start.

Who invented these things anyway, and why? Not brave enough to google the word 'underpants'. Nope, nope, nope.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

GREAT KNICKETIES, UNDERDOG, THAT GIVES ME AN IDEA. (Knicketies is a work A. A. Milne created.) Why not get a 20 pack of white panties and fabric paint and let said perfectionist GO NUTS with labeling. I know, it doesn't fix your laundry problem. But its a cool sounding project and it could be an excellent spelling/days of the week/reading lesson.

Mommylion said...

Knicketies is a great word. :)

I like your idea. It is definitely going on my list of cool, quirky crafts to do to survive winter. "Okay kids, today for art class, we will be painting underwear!" Woohoo!

We could actually take this a step further... maybe since she made them herself, then she would then feel enough ownership to keep them sorted in such a way that the 'acceptable' pair will be easy to find in the bleary-eyed morning. Then she can teach me how she did it. :)