Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Too Strange Tuesday

"It's like he's trying to speak to me, I know it!"
- Marlin, Finding Nemo

Right off I have to say that the husband and I don't live in a superstitious place. We are pretty straight forward folk. While we enjoy the element of story behind 'unexplained' happenings, we don't live in an x-file type reality. Mostly, we think all the 'odd' stuff is explainable by scientific reasons either discovered or yet to be discovered. But I do 'get' the draw to superstitious stuff, sometimes life is weird.

Random stuff around us seems connected yet insignificant. My husband and I have been splashing in the puddle of odd happenings for the past couple days. So much so it is starting to be a running joke.

Mostly mundane strangeness, nothing fun like awakening with winning lottery numbers, or prophesying a working plan to end global warming or anything like that. But there it is. Weirdness with no purpose. Welcome to my life :)

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • 

Examples. I know you want examples:
• Employee jokes he wants Friday evening off because his wife will be out of town. My husband says that is when the 'big, corporate job we all hate' will call in. They called this morning and want Friday evening.

• My husband totally missed a job on his list. Yikes! A customer called a bit upset since they were over an hour 'late'. Oops. This has never happened before and I was sort of tongue tied, so I panicked and told her 'sorry, the van broke down so they were running behind'. Then I felt terrible because I lied, but I didn't know how to tactfully say 'we totally forgot you'. Before I could reach for the phone and call my husband to tell him what I said, it rang. It was the husband calling to let me know he'd be running a bit behind because... The van had just broke down. Certainly won't use THAT excuse again.

• Husband went about singing "King of Pain" all yesterday at work and all morning, he hasn't been in the car for a couple days as I have been hogging it. King of Pain greeted him when the car started. This is the most recent example as the music weirdness has been constant.

• Husband's been wondering about 'the guy who makes out with his Great Dane all day'. (Truly an interesting and slightly disturbing display, for those of you who have never witnessed such a thing.) As he hasn't seen him in a couple years and used to see him sitting on his porch all the time. The next day this chap's mother called to schedule an appointment, then later that same day Marc saw the actual guy sitting on some random porch... and yup, great dane with him...

• Yesterday every time we got change it was the same dollar and cent amounts. Like $16.16, $7.07, $10.10. Every time.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

There is more, so much more. But it is all the same rather uninteresting stuff and it is getting rather constant. You know how the odd connections that shouldn't be there are usually what clue you into the fact that you are dreaming? Which usually results in waking up? Well, that is what this feels like. Only it is happening to both of us. And uhhh... not sure exactly how to 'wake up'.

Doesn't it seem like it should mean something? Or at least be explainable? How deliciously odd.

1 comment:

rae said...

I love those quirky connections. I don't know if it means something or not, but it sure does get the juices flowing, doesn't it? If you get some sense of random numbers, please let us all know that we should run out and buy lottery tickets.