Pages

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Why I love Avatar, the Last Airbender



"You must never give in to despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength."
- Uncle Iroh

"It is always best to believe in oneself, but a little help from others can be a great blessing"
- Uncle Iroh

"Destiny? What would a boy know of destiny? If a fish lives its whole life in this river, does he know the river's destiny? No! Only that it runs on and on out of his control! He may follow where it flows, but he cannot see the end. He cannot imagine the ocean."
- Jeung Jeung

"You think you're any different from me? Or your friends? Or this tree? If you listen hard enough you can hear every living thing breathing together, you can feel everything growing. We're all living together, even if most folks don't act like it. We all have the same roots, and we are all branches of the same tree."
-Huey

I don't overly love t.v., but I am not anti-t.v. either. I see value and entertainment are possible with it. Personally though I don't tend to like the noise or distraction of television. However, Avatar is one of my exceptions. It makes me laugh, cry and fall in love with the characters. And even though some of the logic doesn't always add up, I can forgive that due to the fact that the dialogue is so well written. And the whole family loves it, from the four year old all the way to the thirty-eight year old.

3 comments:

rae said...

We love the Avatar here, too. Tivo takes us there anytime, and I'd much rather have my girls watching that than some of the other yuck that fills the kids' channels.

Katherine said...

Henry's mohawk? Inspired by Ang. I begged him to let me put an arrow on the front and dye it blue.

Alas, he said no. Dang kids, never let a parent have ANY fun!

Mommylion said...

Rae - Oh, I can get a good rant on with the yuck on kids channels. Starting with the pre-teen/teen sitcoms and moving onto the annoying noises of spongebob. BLAH!!!!

K - No fun, no kidding. I wanted to shave my kid's head and do the arrow bit for halloween last year, but he wouldn't let me. :) Saw settled for the blue spirit instead. At least that satisfied my inner Zuko fangirl.