Pages

Friday, April 17, 2009

Our very own Extreme Home Makeover: the Cosmetic Kitchen Edition

See this awfulness?
This is my mother-in-law's kitchen. I am not making fun of her. It is my fault it looks like this. Well, not the clutter, that is her fault. But the color. The eye searing, gut heaving, horrid color. That is on me.

I was pregnant when I chose it and attempted the odd yellow blotchiness. I blame hormones.

These are sort of anxiety inducing walls, are they not? That could explain a lot...

I didn't do it to be mean. Honest. I was just over-confident in my ability to combine colors and to do faux finishing techniques. And this was the last project in a long line of projects that included tearing out old drywall in many rooms and laying carpet, etc. When this didn't turn out right, we had every intention of redoing it. But that was five years ago. Time flies when you are avoiding something.


This table isn't my fault though. And it is actually worse in real life than in these pictures. I really hate this table. It is not only ugly, but unstable and my boy likes to risk his life underneath it. I am always on the look out for a replacement for her. The table, not the person. Usually.

My mother-in-law retired today. I wanted to do something out of the ordinary for her but couldn't figure out what. But when I was doing laundry yesterday I noticed our little laundry table for the first time. My mind is obviously not often 'in the moment' when I do laundry.
It is dirty and ancient and just so full of potential. Last night around 9:00 p.m. It hit me that this little table would make the perfect kitchen table for my mother-in-law. So I hatched my plan to repaint her kitchen during her last evening of work and shared it with my husband thinking he would laugh me out of the room after our personal painting traumas this last year. Surprisingly, he thought it was an excellent idea, so I ran out and bought paint. Can you believe he trusted me?

So today, that is what we did. Luckily, my sister-in-law and niece came over and rescued me by grabbing some brushes and sharing the burden. It was a looooong day. But the results were so worth it!

No comments: