Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

It is cold! So let there be warm drinks!

This is my first batch of warm apple cider this year. I was trying to copy the drink that the local bookstore makes every fall. This tastes amazing, but it should since it is basically dessert in a cup. Not an every day sort of drink, but it makes it even more satisfying.

I improvised but I'll write down as close to what I did as I recall, because the drink turned out with two thumbs up from every member of the family. Did you feel the little shudder when the earth stood still a little while back? That was us. We don't often agree on food around here. I'm the chick in the kitchen with 'short order cook' written across her chest in invisible letters that only my family can see. It shakes me to the core when my family all likes a recipe, so much so I half expect someone to have an allergic reaction to the agreed upon food, just to put my world back in balance. But all enjoyed this drink and not one hive or wheeze marred its glory. So to celebrate, I will share the recipe :)

Hot Apple Cider w/Caramel

Ingredients:
Enough apple cider for four servings (We had about 16oz servings here)
2 oz. (or more to taste) vanilla syrup - the kind used to flavor lattes (I used Davinci brand sugar free)
1/4 cup caramel topping or more to taste (I used Hershey's)
Cinnamon a few sprinkles to taste. I used a lot as we like cinnamon here.
Whipped Cream

Yeah, don't let the word 'apple' fool you. Not health food. Nope, nope, nope. But good, and warm and mmmmm....

Warm the cider, vanilla syrup, caramel and cinnamon in a saucepan and stir it often. (We don't have a microwave, but that would probably work too.) I should note here that I did initially try to just use plain vanilla, but that tasted weird to me. Almost a metallic taste to the drink. So that is why I switched to the vanilla syrup. I would have used cinnamon or caramel syrup but the store only had the sugar free vanilla, but we all liked how it turned out. So anyway, warm it all up until it is lovely and HOT.

Top with whipped cream, cinnamon and a drizzle of caramel. Do NOT skip that part. I'm serious. If you skip that part then you might as well just make regular spiced cider and save the calories. Because the topping is what makes this drink ;)

We are buckling down for what feels like the start of a long, cold fall/winter. This weekend I had a friend tell me that I had to let go of my hope for summer to find our town, that it was time to move on. So here I am moving on - with my hot cider security blanket clutched in my freezing fingers. Happy autumn everyone!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I love this recipe! This isn't the sort of thing we'd get here in Scotland - hot cider topped with cream, but I'm definitely willing to give it a go :)

samuraijen - swapbot