Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Making procrastination work for me...



Yes, I signed up for both Nablowrimo and Nanowrimo, because while I am not a 'joiner' in real life, the online portion of my personality sure seems to be one. The daily blog writing hasn't been much of a problem since the cold weather has contributed to adding screen time to my days. But honestly, my nanowrimo word count is abysmal. Unless I have a crazy wordfest of a weekend (which I am honestly hoping for), I might just be bailing on the old nanowrimo, ummm... I think this is year four or five of nanowrimo-type failures. Sigh...

There is a reason I sign up for nanowrimo every year, well a different reason than the all too typical dream of writing the next Harry Potter series, (yeah, yeah, yeah). Nanowrimo inspires prime moments of procrastination. I mean, think back when you were a kid. Cleaning your room was lame, a pain, but if you were expected to do the dishes - suddenly, sitting in your room organizing toys didn't seem so bad. It might actually seem... fun.

So when staring at a blank document page that is supposed to turn into a NOVEL, suddenly every home improvement project I've dreamed up this year but haven't tackled yet seem so easy. I've organized the extra bed sheets. (Which is not such an easy task when you don't have a linen closet, or any closet for that matter). I built shoe organizers for the entryway (two of them!). I figured out a better way to sort and store seasonal decorations. I created a home for all the mateless socks, with the hope that some of them will find one another again - A sock mating service. And the mother of all procrastination projects... I am organizing two years of paperwork for our home-based business. Bam!

See? Signing up for nanowrimo is so good for my household. Though it is not very good for my writing dreams. For when November starts to slide past week one, I feel a bit short of breath. Wondering if I should just quit the contest rather than FAIL. Again. Sigh... But honestly? The procrastination is just too good to put an end to it.

Mind games much?

So wish me luck for a crazy high word count weekend. It would be so awesome to look back from the other side of November and see not only a home organized and ready for the upcoming holidays... but also have a hastily written, but complete novel on my desktop.

3 comments:

val said...

You make me smile. love, Val

Deb said...

You can do it! Wish I could write like you.

candyn said...

Aw, thanks :)