Pages

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Mmmmm.... Cranberries...



I think cranberries are one of my favorite parts of this season. I love seeing fresh cranberries in the stores and always buy a bag when out shopping. I don't cook them even though I do enjoy them served that way too. I make a sort of salad? relish? I don't know what it is really, but it is fresh and yummy. I learned the recipe from my mom and I think she got it from her grandma. It is a favorite of mine and now of my children, a sort of sweet/tart type taste that we like to eat at breakfast time. It wakes up the tastebuds!

There might be a real name for this somewhere. The kids and I call it sweet tart salad. :)

Cranberry Sweet Tart Salad

Ingredients:
Bag of fresh cranberries
Orange (with peel on)
Apple (I like jonamac in this but you could tweak it a lot by the flavor of the apple)
Sugar to taste (My mom's grandma used 2 cups! Yikes. I used about 3/4 cup.)

Directions:
Wash all the fruit including the peel of the orange because you use the whole thing. Cut the apple and orange into chunks. Throw all the fruit into a food processor and pulse until it is all chopped as finely as you wish. I like to make it really fine, almost like a sauce. Add sugar and pulse to mix. Done! It is even better the next day.

I had meant to take a picture of the finished product. Actually, I had planned on taking pictures of Thanksgiving from beginning to end. It is now 10:30 pm and a couple shots of cranberries in lousy lighting is the only proof of today's feast. Well, that and about 5 pounds of mashed potatoes in my fridge. That might sound like a lot of leftover potatoes, but we started with 30 pounds. My husband has brothers. We all like potatoes. The end.

Fun day! And now we get to enjoy the first long Thanksgiving weekend we've ever had together. One of us has always had to work at least the Friday before if not more of the weekend. (I don't count the Thanksgiving that I came home from the hospital with my son. Newborns are sweet and nice and lovely, but don't count as a relaxing weekend.) And we are NOT shopping. Just three days of relaxing and fun. And turkey sandwiches!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: