Pages

Monday, November 30, 2009

Winter wanders in slowly...

A jumble of holiday type material...


Plus scissors, clothes line rope, and some knots...


Equals the beginning of the holiday decorating.


I saw this handmade swag project on a blog a few weeks back and wish I could remember where it was so I could link to it properly. I was digging through my material stash because I really want to make these sweet little fabric cones for an advent calendar. That is what the square pattern paper is for in the top picture actually. Yes, I know I'm a day late for a proper advent calendar, but the kids won't mind opening two presents on Wednesday.

I was sidetracked when I remembered the swag and started cutting strips and tying them to the rope. It is really addicting. Next thing I knew, I had a little holiday garland to throw up on the windows. I plan on losing the blue star and adding random cinnamon scented pinecones along the swag. The icicle lights replace the snowflake lights from last year because I sort of crushed the snowflake lights in a mad closet organizing project this summer. Oops!

This is all we have out decorating-wise so far, but nature hasn't decorated yet either. It is crazy how dark November is without snow. It has been all rain and clouds and short, short days that never seem to brighten past twilight. I keep waiting for the light that tells my body that the day is starting but it never quite gets there before the sky goes completely black again. I realized the difference is the lack of snow. Once the snow falls, the blinding white everywhere makes the world much brighter and the skies are brilliant blue at least some of the time. This odd humid fall has been really interesting. Not bad, because it has given us more time to roam trails, but we're definitely creeping slowly into the holiday season, not sledding headfirst at breakneck speeds.

Today ends my 'obligation' to post daily for nablowrimo. It was a good experience. Through it I found some great blogs to add to my google reader. I also blogged during a month I very likely would have skipped, due to illness and a general scatteredness I seem to struggle with when the weather turns cold and dark. I am interested to see if I want to blog more now that I don't 'have' to. I do have quite a few projects lined up for both the holiday season and the winter days that follow and this blog is basically my virtual refrigerator to my hobbies on. I'm not afraid to admit it. ;)

Goodbye November! It's been fun.

4 comments:

alana said...

Well I for one have enjoyed your NaBloWriMo... happy december!

Deb said...

i love the swag, it's a great idea!

candyn said...

Alana, I'm glad I found your blog through nablowrimo! It is now one of my favorite reads :)

Thanks, cousin Deb :) I wish I could remember where I saw the idea so I could give that person credit. It was a fun project!

Jessica said...

What a great idea and it looks super simple to make.

j3ss1ca (SB)