Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Wow! Where did January go?!

Instead of writing a list of resolutions for the new year, I just went ahead and made a list of things I wanted done and then started tackling them. It feels good to check so many things off and every task I complete simplifies our lives. So far I've done this...


Weekly file folders. Last year I used these but only labeled the folders with week 1, week 2, ect. and it just didn't grab me. The vague numbering system didn't give me the sense of urgency that actual dates do. The file folder organizing system is an idea I got from here on this beautiful blog.

I tweaked the idea a bit to fit us. I stapled weekly calendars to the front of each folder so I can write any appointments or things I want to remember. I also color coded for five seasons, Winter - January/February, Spring - March/April/May, Summer - June/July/August, Fall - September/October and Holidays - November/December. I have four extra folders for random seasonal ideas. I am so excited to fill those folders up!

Then I did some of this...

Just a small sample of art room organization. I had a HUGE mess in this room and have very scary 'before' pictures that I am not sure that I want to share on here. During the holidays, the art room became a catch all for things that didn't fit in the regular space with all the holiday stuff up. And then after the holidays we moved some stuff around in our house. The window seat that served as a sort of couch in our living room (and hid my material stash inside the bins), was moved into the toy room. We removed the seats and they are now nice little Playmobil play tables that make it harder for the dog to eat the toys. We also moved all the board games into the storage bins below.

However, that meant all my material got dumped into the art room! Ever see the show Hoarders? Let's just say, this room was scarily too close to that show. So after I watched a couple episodes of on Youtube to properly inspire me, I rolled my sleeves up and got to work. And let's just say, I don't want to experience a preventable mess like that again if possible.

Then there is this...

A three ring binder that I keep out during the day. In it I have two calendars, both divided to match the file folder seasons. One calendar is for our menu/fitness schedules, and the other is to keep track of projects, ideas, appointments, etc. The doodled on moleskine in the front pocket is my scribble/brainstorming journal. And I have divided sections inside the binder for all the different areas of our lives I want to keep track of. This will sure beat a million different piles of papers around the house that I can never find when I need them.


It has already been coming in handy. My daughter has even started calling it 'our book', and comes up with suggestions for projects she wants to do to write down in it. Not to be outdone, my son went through a science fun book and made a list of experiments he wants me write down. And my husband knows exactly where to go to list stuff we need at the store. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I've needed for years. A catch all book that sort of stops up the leaks from my brain.

And that is all just a small portion of our manic January. Somewhere in there we organized the kitchen cupboards and drawers, my bookshelves, sorted out my magazines, and had some time for a few projects. The first time in my life that 'Spring Cleaning' will be done well ahead of time. But obviously what I didn't have time for was blogging, and keeping up on blogs like I enjoy.

But now that I have all this under my belt I should have a LOT more time. Woohoo! Now I just need the groundhog to see his shadow in a few days and then it will be all, Spring! Here we come! Because, wow. I am so over winter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

GAH, you are SO organized. Would you pahleeze come organize my house. You could so market your organizational skillz and ideas!

Maria

candyn said...

Thanks, Maria, but I can't take credit for the file folder idea. The link on the post takes you to where that came from. I routinely stalk Catholic Homeschooling mom blogs because those ladies often have some mad organizational skills! Not to mention an overwhelming wealth of knowledge on their blogs in general. Often intimidating, but inspiring in a overwhelming humbling fashion.

Deb said...

wow! Do you hire out for spring cleaning??

candyn said...

Lol, Deb. :0) To be honest, my recent organizing projects were fun until about halfway through. Then a professional organizer (or maybe therapist) would have been so welcome! Now I've been having to bribe myself to see it all through to the end.

I guess the bright side to our seemingly limitless winter this year, is I will have plenty of time to finish. Especially before it is warm enough to avoid housework by spending the days outside!

Unknown said...

I am so visiting this blog you have linked. I need all the organization tips I can get! :-)

Lindy said...

I seriously can't believe how organized you are... lol...

The Creative Place said...

Oh, I love your organization. I need to be more organized- thanks for the inspiration :):)

TheCreativePlace from sb