Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

March so far...

The month has flown by. Probably much to do with what feels like an early spring. We cram in walks and such as there is always that fear of waking up to two feet of snow. We are dressing in fewer layers this March than we wore last year at the end of May. Woohoo! Here is a bit of what we've been up to lately.

Batman visited. Here he is riding in his Batmobile, sidekick Wonderdog in tow...

The snow melted and we've enjoyed watching the green emerge... Token seasonal shot of the Camperdown Elm. It is so mossy. It is beautiful, but I wonder if I need to be worried for it. I don't know enough about trees to know if the presence of moss is bad or not.

This is a dawn shot. I am so not a morning person. But my husband and I have been getting up early to work out at a 24 hour gym. I am training for this, a race to earn money for the National Brain Tumor Society, in memory of my cousin who battled cancer. I don't know if I will actually be able to race, but I am trying to whip myself into shape in time. If not I'll be on the sidelines cheering loudly. Dawn is amazing. I've seen too few in my life. This change has been good.

We like to drive by the lake in the morning after we work out. Snow fences still up, but probably for not much longer. Can you believe June is less than three months away? Can it be? That time flying thing...

I finally bought a thyme plant so I get to cross off one thing from my bucket list. Look how sweet and curly and gorgeous. The smell is heaven. It is my precious.

I've been working on a freelance project for the local paper. A bunch of advertorials, nothing exciting, but it has kept me busy. So the only crafty thing I've been up to is a tiny doll I am making for a swap on swap-bot. I plan on making her a little steampunk fairy.

Here I made the head out of paper clay on a wire frame body.

Here I started to paint her and it shows my first try at the gears in her middle, (I did them like I did the gear bead thing the other day). The DG3 medium keeps on clouding up and I keep removing them and trying different paint, sealing everything first, etc. Still, by the next day everything is cloudy. Tonight I tried my last attempt. I used permanent glue instead of the DG3. I hope it works, or she'll have to be sent out with a cloudy tummy. In this pic, I am starting to wrap the wire on her arms and legs with thread. This will keep her limbs movable.

Here she has her hair, wings and skirt, but you can see it is one of the times I had to carve out her gears. Sigh...

Here is a scale shot to show how small she is. She fits in a 32 count matchbox. (Which was the point of the swap. To create a doll in a matchbox bed. I'll have to get shots of the bed later.)

Here is a closer shot with the gears. Alas, this is one taken before the most recent clouding issue. Don't know exactly what is up with that. I have noticed metals on some of the gears rusting, or discoloring, but this is the first I've had a clouding issue. Wish I knew what was up. Hopefully the glue works because I love the little gear tummy when it is clear! It is kind of what makes it a steampunk fairy after all... (If you click on the picture it will blow it up larger to see the gears.)

I'll post the finished fairy later, cloudy gears or no. Hopefully no!

Wishing everyone a great week! I get my first mammogram on Wednesday, and that has me nervous. Always hearing horror stories about those, you know? I guess I get to see if they live up to their hype. lol Wish me luck!

12 comments:

Hearthandmade said...

I love the mask :)
i also love your lil doll, it looks so intricate!
CDonovan - Swapbot

Yoshi said...

Love the tiny doll. I admire people with the patience to work on such a small scale.

Yoshi (libertunity from Swapbot)

Emma! said...

You take such great pics!

--emmanemhandmade from swapbot

Jennifer McLean said...

Gosh, you worked so tirelessly on this little fairy. It mist have been difficult to give her up. You have a lovely home and your town seems idyllic. I bet batman and wonderpooch protect the home from intruders! :o) You look like you have a wonderfully happy life.
~Jaemac from swap-bot

Maria Isabel said...

I love the tiny doll!
-mariaisabel from swap-bot

Ambrosia Jefferson said...

You take some fantastic photos.

LadyAmbrosia-SwapBot.

SaraswatiChB for Swapbot said...

You made her yourself?! Amazing. She is so adorable. With this technique I can see the possibilities are endless.

Fabi said...

Batman looks cool ;)!

And I love how to do the doll. Maybe I will try it one day ;)! At the moment I don't have the calmness for it.

Fabi (BubbLeGumGirLie for Comments on Craft/Design Blogs)

Glenda said...

love your work, very clever

Jessica said...

I love you fairy. They are one of my favorite things and your is amazing.

j3ss1ca (SB)

ElizabethMD Jewelery said...

I love the fact that you did a kinda step by step of how to create her! It was very interesting I quite enjoyed reading it and looking through the pictures.

Sincerely,

ElizabethMD (swap-bot partner)
http://ElizabethMD.etsy.com

shafarina said...

I will took forever to finish this one. Never have a talent for tiny things. I cannot sew either :(