Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Glue Batik + Robot = Good Craft Day


Check out this cool project on this awesome blog. I had to try it out right away. I know the point of her blog is to present art to do with children, but my kids were asleep when I started and rather unimpressed during the middle phases. It wasn't until the end product that their eyes got wide and they immediately wanted to start their own. I can't wait to try it with them and see what they come up with. I am thinking this might be how we create our summer wardrobe.

Basically, it is a sort of batik mimic that uses gel glue instead of the pesky wax and acrylic paint instead of dye. Easier and quicker and more kid friendly! Love it, love it, love it! In my haste to find a blank canvas to try this technique I could only get my hands on a t-shirt in my boy's size. While I loved the way the earth looked in the original tutorial, I figured my boy would probably love a robot shirt more, so that is what I attempted.

Since That Artist Woman created such a great tutorial, I will just do a minimum sort of thing showing the steps I took. If you want to try this then I recommend following her thorough step-by-step post.

This shows (barely) the drawing I made to put on the shirt. I just did a quick sketch then used it as a visual guide while I drew with the glue. This part was really fun. It is impossible to be perfect drawing with glue, so it made it easier to relax and just roll with whatever happened.


Glue outlines. The hardest part was waiting for this to dry completely before starting to paint!

The fun part! Color! Blue for the robot.


Getting fancy with the border.

Then the part I forgot to photograph, and the only part I had trouble with. Soaking the shirt in hot water for 30 minutes to dissolve the glue after the paint was dry. My glue did not dissolve in a half hour. In fact for awhile I wasn't sure it was going to ever dissolve. But I just kept refilling the sink with hot water and eventually the paint started to come away easily with my thumb nail. Patience paid off, because my boy loves his shirt. Yay! Oh, and be sure to throw in the dryer to dry at this point to heat set.

I had a blast making this! It was easily the most enjoyable project I've done in a long time. I can't wait to make some with the kids. I'm going to have to stock up on the gel glue!

2 comments:

Mia said...

Wow, that came out great!!! The ideas for using this technique are just endless... I love it! :D

Thanks for letting us know about it :)

Sara said...

It looks so cool! I'm going to have to try that!