Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thrift Store Finds...

A few weeks back I ran into the local Goodwill on a whim.  I am so glad I did as I came away with things that really made my heart sing. Our last name starts with B, so that is why I indulged in the big initial. I have plans for the domed plates as I've noticed similar things on other blogs and always loved the look.

This is what I plan to do with the first dome and candle stick. I believe I will paint it black and use it in my kitchen for baked treats or other fun things. I am so excited since this only cost me $3.00 total and have seen similar things in stores for a whole lot more. I will actually take the time to sand this before I paint it though, unlike my last project. That would explain why this is still in my 'to do' pile, instead of being used in my kitchen right now. Sigh... perfectionism plus procrastination make for a large project slush pile.

This was an easier project! More therapeutic slapping on of color without sanding ahead of time. In fact I was going for an imperfect look here, I just didn't care for the all gold tone with the rest of our decor. So I found a metallic green in my paint drawer and got busy. B can also stand for 'busy' which seems to be the theme for my summer.

This photo is a bit dated already. I moved the furniture around since I took this photo, and now the little statues and big B sit on top of the computer desk positioned under that photo. It is actually where I sit typing right this second. I like it even more on the desk, but am feeling too lazy to snap a new picture. This shot shows it in use anyway. Not bad for $1.00 and a bit of paint.

I also found these two little glass candle stick holders in the same GW trip for 50 cents each. I had previously splurged on this awesome bakers twine from Divine Twine after seeing it splashed all over the net.

I had this tutorial from the Just Something I Made blog in the back of my mind when I went to goodwill. Unable to come up with any big chunky candlesticks I bought these on a whim since I am all crowlike for glass and sparkly things. I used the same steps in the tutorial except I painted the exposed cardboard in the tubes and the dowels that hold the twine up with white paint, since I am a get lost in the details sort of gal.

Then instead of using a drawer pull, or game piece on top I used a giant flat backed gemstone. You can kind of see that detail best in this picture, though I find it hard to photograph well. If you click on it, you can see it larger.

I love how these look sitting in front of my odds and ends shelf. I like to think of this space as my craft laboratory... Insert maniacal laughter here... This goes with my theme of keeping my supplies in the open so I'll actually use it, yet keeps it organized enough so I resist the urge to shove it all away in a drawer to be forgotten forever.

I love thrift store days like this, but I find I have to fight the urge to keep returning after a successful thrifting score. I get nervous I'll miss out on more good things. The problem is I only need so many things, no matter how awesome they are - or what good deals they might be. So I try to refrain. Right now I am holding myself back until I complete my domed plate projects. Oh, but the temptation!

Have you had any great thrifting finds lately? Is it just me that has poor impulse control when faced with seemingly unending good deals? Any good ideas on how find balance so thrifting doesn't become hoarding?

3 comments:

Deb said...

I love thrift stores. I haven't been to any lately, I must get crackin'.

Mummy Dearest said...

Awesome, lovely, beautiful! I like your style!

val said...

Really fun! love, Val