Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Halloween Practice

I ordered what I thought were three temporary scar tattoos, one for Halloween and a couple extra just to make sure I don't mess up on the one. What actually arrived? Three PAGES full of temporary scar tattoos. I guess I didn't read the fine print. :0) My kids are not complaining.

I admit though, that this Halloween season finds me a bit tiny bit bummed. Not in any real way, but in the missed crafting opportunity sense of bummed. I LOVE Halloween, and I love making costumes. My family sometimes tolerates this practice. Sometimes not.

This year it was three against one for the store bought costume variety. I wasn't even allowed to make Hogwarts capes. Sigh...  There is always next year. It does seem to be an every other year thing. Last year I got to muck about in material and glue to my hearts content...


Halloween 2009 Gandalf and good witch costumes.


The year before the kids had a blast in store bought Jedi costumes, etc.  Which I just discovered I never blogged about. But here's an action shot. Can't beat a light saber battle on a fine fall day, right?

Halloween 2008 - The year of the Jedi Knights

I also didn't blog the 2007 costumes which were of the handmade variety. Sage was Katara from Avatar - The Last Airbender and my boy was Zuko as the blue spirit. I was also a complete fail at taking any kind of decent pictures. Almost all I have is this lamish attempt at a tutorial post on making the blue spirit mask two different ways, which probably shows my ridiculous mania when it comes to making costumes. (Hence a reason my husband tends to vote for purchasing the darn things.) Though here are some shots that I am including because my kids look so little. The years sure fly.


All chubby with layers under his blue spirit ninja costume. Oh my gosh, he was practically still a toddler here! I didn't get one photo with his hood up and mask on or of my girl standing. Bummer.

Oh, who am I kidding? Store bought or handmade costumes... Either way, they are fun and it is something they can use for a long time after the holiday. And getting to wear them in public while collecting a ridiculous amount of candy and treats? Awesome! I love this time of year.

Wishing everyone a wonderful autumn season and Happy Halloween to those who love it too!

7 comments:

the happy honeybee said...

Those costumes are marvelous! Lucky kids. :)

Deb said...

Is that Harry Potter in the first pic? You make lovely costumes, they will appreciate that some day!

Karen said...

We've got store-bought costumes for our boys this year, first time in a while... just as I was starting to feel bummed, hubby and I were invited to a Halloween party - so I get to make our costumes. Pirates, I think, which could be interesting.

Happy Halloween!

Sparklee said...

Wow--I'm impressed with your homemade costumes! I can make a costume as long as it involves sewing a tail to a sweatsuit!

This is the first year that my kids want to be SCARY. In previous years they've wanted cute costumes, but now they want creepy masks, makeup, etc. I guess the days of puppy dogs and ladybugs are over. Sigh...

SabrinaT said...

Love your costumes...

We go with store bought, or just thrown together at the last minutes because CRAP I forgot to order anything..

Anonymous said...

My seven year-old really wants to be Gandolf. Did you use a patter?

candyn said...

Sorry I didn't see your comment earlier, Anon. I am pretty sure I used a pattern for the wizard robe and cape. I don't remember what one I used though. Very likely one of the 'easy' patterns that can be found almost anywhere. I can't imagine that I winged it because I'm just not that good at sewing. I do remember that I used cheap fleece for the robe which is easy to sew and was very warm. And an old gray blanket for the cape. So it wasn't very expensive which was a plus. Just a bit time consuming.