Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Projects and projects and projects...

Over three straight weeks of checking things off my 'to do' list and I am still not done. But I've clawed my way through the dread pirate projects and am now happily immersed in the fun things like drawing on the walls and calling it work...

And playing with pretty paper. :0)

I am hoping to have pictures of this current project all finished tomorrow. If the mod podge and sunlight is willing that is. It has been rather dark and gray in Michigan lately, and my camera needs help from the sun to function well. And so far this project has proven tricky to capture the colors. But I'll try because somehow photographing it makes it seem properly finished. Must be the years of blogging habits ingrained in me.

I have been a busy girl. A busy, busy girl. I got sick of 'someday' never being 'today'. A book I was reading flipped a switch in my head and I got up one day and got busy. But before I get chatty about it I am going to stop and save it for another post. Because while I am so happy with the progress, I am also so very tired. So on that note, I am off to bed to dream of what life is going to feel like with a blank 'to do' list. Wow, right? Goodnight!

3 comments:

Deb said...

I'd like to hear about the book!

Hoola Tallulah said...

ooh the book does sounds fascinating (which book which book> do tell!), I am exactly like that most days, sit around waiting for things to get exciting, then occasionally, very occasionally, I will actually get off my ass and start doing stuff and suddenly things get exciting!
I can't wait to see your finished project, I hope the sun is shining for you soon.

candyn said...

Oh, goodness... I wasn't playing coy with the book name. I was so tired when I wrote the post and feel that the book needs an explanation that I didn't have the energy to go into at the time. I still don't really as tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the US, and that means I have quite a bit to do before going to bed.

The book is called Shrink Yourself by Roger Gould, MD and I bought it to try to curb my emotional eating habits. What I didn't expect was it to address my habits in general, because that is what has happened by default. After reading just the first few chapters they were just the words I needed to hear to make me assess my life and start weeding out my stress 'triggers'.

This isn't a book for everyone, obviously it is written for emotional eaters, lol. But I feel that the same ideas also help deal with any nervous habits, I bounce my legs when sitting, twirl hair, bite nails, eat without noticing, chew pens, pace and I've always done crafts as a sort of pacifier. And they work and soothe, but are more of a bandage than a cure. You know?

I do these things instead of fixing the things that are stressing me out it seems. At least I used to. This book has helped me focus and therefore I've been able to address the problem areas and then harness the nervous energy into productive energy. And as I tick things off my list, my stress level goes down, and while it has definitely helped my eating habits, it has helped me focus on so much more than that.

So I don't know if this is a case of me just reading words that I needed to hear at the time, I suspect it is. I don't know if it would be a book for everyone. But I'd definitely recommend it for emotional eaters and would be surprised if it didn't help them out in more ways than one.

My project is going to take a bit longer than I planned but I am having fun with it. I have gotten more into details than I anticipated. Story of my life :0)