Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Roasted Beef Mushroom and Barley Soup!

Again I come here with so much to say. But the temperatures outside dipped into the low 30s today, so instead I am going to blog about what consumes my thoughts every winter... Food! I would be really good at hibernating. I am sure of it.

Anyway, I made beef barley soup tonight and I had to share the recipe. It is so easy and so good - if you are a beef barley sort of person that is. I got the initial recipe here... Roasted Beef Mushroom and Barley Soup Recipe from Everyday Food. Except I actually got mine from the magazine. I love that little magazine.

I searched for years for a good beef barley recipe, because it is my husband's favorite. I could just never get it right. Then I found this and we were quite happy with the results. And I am happy because it is the simplest recipe for the soup that I've tried yet. I've made quite a few changes to the linked recipe though.

I use leftover pot roast for the meat instead of steak. I am sure the steak is awesome, but this way I use up the leftover pot roast. I also just use whatever onions I have on hand. Throw in some carrots, because we like carrots around here. I chop extra carrots and onions the night before when I am getting them ready for the pot roast, and just throw them in a bag to wait until I make soup. Throw the meat, mushrooms, onions and carrots on a tray and mix with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven at 450ยบ for 30 minutes. Stirring it up at least once in the middle somewhere.

Mmmm.... It is hard not to just eat this stuff and forget the soup part. But once it is all roasted, throw it in a pot with broth. I use beef broth and the recipe calls for chicken. I'm sure both are fine. I slowly bring it to a boil and then throw in quick cooking barley. Lots more than the recipe calls for.  In fact. I use a lot more of everything than the recipe calls for. That's just the way I roll. (Not a pun aimed at my stomach, but it could work that way... sigh.)

The only reason I could take a picture at this point instead of digging in is because it was way too hot. Even my kids like this soup, and that is saying something. And please keep in mind, I am no food blogger. I just really like food, and like sharing good recipes when I stumble on them. Not trying to be the next PW or anything, so ignore my green tinted photos taken under kitchen lights. Thanks.

Honestly, it is probably not the best beef barley soup out there. But it is pretty darn good. Awesome on a cold day, and so easy to make. It turns leftovers into something that rivals the initial meal. And the whole family will eat it. That makes it share worthy in my book.

Tomorrow is Friday!!! It has been a long week here. I am so happy to see the weekend approaching. Happy almost weekend!

1 comment:

Deb said...

Sounds and looks yummy!