Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.


I was in college when I first coveted a computer. A friend had a sexy (for the time) little desktop Macintosh, the kind that had the 'hello' message when it started up. Rather dating myself there, eh? It was years later, after I somehow bumbled my way into a graphic arts job at a small town newspaper that I actually started to use Macs on a regular basis. Then the lust turned to full blown love; it happens that way sometimes. A few years later I bought my first personal Apple so it was Macs for work and play from that point on.

A couple iMacs and more years later than I care to admit... I write this from my new 13" MacBook Pro. My first laptop.

Here's my baby on her 'gotcha' day, my newest Mac adoption. Another one of those big summer events this year I meant to blog but never got around to.

I won't even get into ipods and itunes. So to say I'm an Apple fangirl is an understatement. I'd like to think that I've got some Apple cred. Proof. I have some. Remember this post? More specifically this picture:


Look closely at the bottom left corner of my door. Here, let me zoom for you.

Yeah, still hard to see. But you can probably guess that is is one of those Apple decals you get with every gadget/computer purchase. Yep. On my entry door. I'm that geek.

Here's a photo from two years ago and you can see the sticker was there even then. In fact, there has been an Apple decal in that corner for as long as I've had a personal Mac, so that means before my daughter was born. 10 years. And I have a thing about entries and exits - the statements they make, but that is a for a another wordy post on a different think-some day.

So yes, I almost cried when I heard the news of Steve Job's death last night. My husband and I found ourselves up until 3:30 a.m. thinking those kind of big/small thoughts that the underside of morning brings when faced with mortality and the end of an era. Today I am thinky and overtired and pretty much just grateful for the chance to live in this world. And to be one of the lucky ones that has the opportunity to sample an array of Apples over the years. Overthinking it? Likely. But why not? 

Over the past decade all of my personally earned income has been created on an Apple computer. It is also correct to assume that much of the money I spent on entertainment and personal presents were on Apple products or on itunes. I don't see that changing in the future; I mean Disney World continued to thrive after Walt Disney passed, and I assume Apple will do the same. But today feels/is different. Today is that transition phase where Apple hasn't yet lost its living brand, yet that brand is no longer living. It feels weird.

I have so many more thoughts, the children of too much caffeine and too little sleep. But mostly they can be summed up with quotes from Mr. Jobs which is more appropriate for this post anyway.

"When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."

And: 

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Yes, and yes. So this is my wordy, non-minimalist, very un-Jobsish tribute to an innovator that I've admired for so very long. Thank you, Steve Jobs. For remaining hungry and foolish in an all too serious world.

Love,
An Unapologetic Apple Fangirl

4 comments:

kat said...

He certainly made a dent in the universe didn't he?

val said...

lovely, Candy. love, Val

Sparklee said...

Got my first color classic in 1993. The box was so heavy, a random boy from my dorm helped me carry it to my room. (OK, well, actually he was kind of cute so I feigned weakness...but still.)

Three Macs later, I am still in love with Apple products. Enjoy your MacBook!

Heather said...

I blame you for making me fall in love with all things Apple. I tried to stay loyal to IBM but really? . . . first Mac desktop changed my computer world and once you go Mac . . . you never go back : ) Great Post!